preacherman

Friday, July 21, 2006

Vacations, Even Jesus Spent Time To Renew

I took a 3 day vacation. My family and I went to Corpus Christi and Port Aransas. Monday we spent the day at the beach and ate at a sea food place that dumps the food (shrimp,crawfish, crab, corn) on your table. The boys had a great time with the little wood hammers they gave them. Tuesday we went to the beach for about an hour or so, then went to a mall in Corpus Christi that had a carousel that they got to ride, played video games, shopped a little, then went to the Texas State Aquarium. Later we went and ate at another seafood place and then ended the evening on a sunset cruise watching the dolphins. The boys even got to touch some sea creatures (starfish, hermit crabs, etc). Wed morning I woke up and watched the sunrise over the ocean and spent some time with just me and God. I enjoyed the time with my family, allowing them to create memories that will last a lifetime. I neglected my family in the past I am not doing it anymore. As a minister I thought I had to be working all the time, churches that I worked for pressued me to work all the time, 60-80 hours a week. My family suffered. As ministers it is easy to neglect what is the most important. I know understand that it is God, family, then church. I let the church know that that family was important and that I would need at least 2 days off to be with my family. The church I am at know is the most wonderful church in allowing me to spend time with my family, take kids to Dr. appointments, take care of them when they are sick, etc. I am blessed.
I needed this weekend and I feel renewed, refeshed, uplifted.
Jesus when he needed time away from his work, a break, spent time alone with God. And that time alone with God renewed Him so he could continue his ministry.
Why is it that so many people especially ministers think they can't take a break? Could that be the reason so many ministers get burnout and leave the ministry?
How has vacation and time away helped you renew?
We must understand that even Jesus himself didn't work 24/7 and He was the son of God.
Is there anything we can learn here?
What do you think?

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great fun time, we took the grandkids on about the same tour a few years ago, the aquariam and the old aircraft carrier.
The next year we took them to Moody Gardens in Galveston, you should try that also, fun trip especially for kids.I enjoyed riding the paddle wheel myself.

11:29 PM  
Blogger Josh said...

yep, I agree. However, I have just recently began my first ministry and within the last few weeks I realized that when I did take a vacation (which I do about two weeks a year) I seem to take a vacation from God as well by not reading and praying everyday and I found my vacations not as rejuvinating as they could have been. I will be taking another vacation in August and I plan to bring God along for the ride.

6:02 PM  
Blogger preacherman said...

Laymond,
Thanks for letting me know about Galveston.
Sounds like it will be a good vacation too sometime.
Thanks for your comments and visiting my blog.
I hope you will frequent it.

12:11 AM  
Blogger preacherman said...

Josh,
It is tempting and easy to do.
I find that when your invite God along the vacation is well worth it.
Thanks for your comments as always.
God bless you and hope you have a great vacation in August.

12:12 AM  
Blogger Josh said...

Preacher,

I'm so glad that you were set free by the chains of work that so many preachers find themselves in.

I think this is due in part to the fact that our work in the ministry is never finished, and it has the potential to hang over our heads if we let it.

At one time, I was a youth pastor, worked full time, and took 9 hours of college classes... all at the same time!

I remember sitting at a TGIFriday's one night when God spoke to my heart and said, "I've got someone who has more time than you do to pastor those youth. You need to step down."

At first, it felt like a slap in the face, but upon looking back, it was the best for the youth, the church and myself.

Thanks for sharing about your vacation!

2:53 PM  
Blogger Darin L. Hamm said...

I know what you mean. Two weeks each summer is a must.

5:20 PM  
Blogger Stoned-Campbell Disciple said...

The Sabbath is not just Saturday. I am delighted that you were able to be renewed and refreshed.

Shalom,
Bobby Valentine

10:33 PM  
Blogger preacherman said...

Thanks everyone for your comments.
I enjoyed my vacation very much.
We are having our vacation bible school right now.
It is going great.
The group from Westside Church of Christ, in Midland Tx is doing a fantastic job for us.
I will have more to say later on that.
God bless each of you.
I will post very soon.

5:18 PM  
Blogger Danny said...

Vacation? What is vacation?

6:10 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

2015-10-5 leilei
Coach Diaper Bag Outlet
louis vuitton outlet stores
abercrombie store
hollister clothing
nike air max 90
Jordan 4 Shoes For Sale
Authentic Air Jordan 13 shoes for sale
coach factory outlet
ugg boots sale
Air Jordan 6 Champagne Bottle
Michael Kors Handbags Clearance Outlet
Cheap Ray Ban Wayfarer
Jordan 3 Retro 2015
timberland outlet
Coach Outlet Online Discount Sale
michael kors outlet
canada goose jackets
michael kors outlet
michael kors outlet online
Michael Kors Outlet Online Deals Huge

6:41 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

ray-ban sunglasses
toms outlet
fitflop sale
tiffany and co
nhl jerseys
ray ban,rayban,occhiali ray ban,ray-ban,ray ban occhiali,ray ban sunglasses
nike free
coach outlet
mulberry bags
michael kors outlet
thomas sabo outlet
fitflops clearance
cheap uggs
coach outlet online
tiffany and co
nfl jerseys
michael kors uk outlet
oakley sunglasses sale
coach factory outlet
michael kors uk outlet
1214MINKO

11:10 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Odell Beckham Jr. 'not having fun' playing Nike Roshe Run football right now Shalise Manza Young,Shutdown Corner Tue, Oct 4 5:09 Nike Air Max 2015 Shoes PM PDT Comments wholesale nfl jerseys Sign in to cheap nfl jerseys like Reblog on Tumblr Nike Air Max 90 Share NFL Jerseys Tweet Email Apparently it Nike Free Run stinks to be Odell Beckham Jr. these days. The New York Giants receiver feels he’s being unfairly targeted by opposing players and officials, and he’s fed up. “Football is my sanctuary,” Beckham told ESPN’s Anita Marks on Tuesday. “It’s where I go to escape. It’s where I’m most happy. I’m not having fun anymore.” He also told Marks nfl jerseys store he has more fun at practice than he has at games.

9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home